There’s nothing better than free stuff, and when it comes to free stuff, there’s nothing better than the stuff you can grab by just walking out of your house.
Here I will give you a few tips on how to search for giveaways in your neighborhood – the ones for which you don’t have to drive 50 miles, the ones that are easy to secure and pick up.
- First of all, go to Craiglook.com . It’s a Craigslist Search site that helps you narrow results to your neighborhood only
- Go to “Free Stuff” category
- Refine Your Search by specifying the exact location and search radius
- Reply to posting by clicking on “Reply” button or on the small “Phone” icon next to the posting.
Remember to ask if the item is in working condition before you even move to the next step.
- Arrange the pick up. Act fast and you’ll be able to secure the deal before anyone else finds it.
Here’s some more tips that will help you to save time and avoid trouble:
- Did I mentioned “Act Fast” ? I mean it. Hot deals go really fast
- Don’t waste your time if the item is not what you’re really wanted. Decline politely
- Arrange for a pickup of the free item(s) in a public place. If you must meet at someone’s house, always go during the daytime
- Take a friend with you to a pickup location. Not only will this ensure your safety, but it may also be necessary if you are moving large objects
- Because one person’s junk is another’s treasure, keeping expectations low is a great way to approach these free transactions
- Do not provide owners with your personal information, other that your first name and phone number or email address. There is no need to give your physical address or place of employment
- Avoid scams by researching common fraud techniques (see previous post)
Good luck and happy hunting !