Not all car dealers are unscrupulous, and not all are going to take you to the cleaners. Among all the “Honest Bobs” out there walking the lots, many really are trustworthy. But there is a simple reason so many people dread buying a new car: the potential for rip-off is astronomical, and common practices over the years have often justified consumers’ fears. If you catch a whiff of any of the scams below, be on alert.
Check out this article
There’s nothing better than free stuff, and when it comes to free stuff, there’s nothing better than the stuff you can grab by just walking out of your house.
Here I will give you a few tips on how to search for giveaways in your neighborhood – the ones for which you don’t have to drive 50 miles, the ones that are easy to secure and pick up.
- First of all, go to Craiglook.com . It’s a Craigslist Search site that helps you narrow results to your neighborhood only
Step 2: go to "Free Stuff" category
- Go to “Free Stuff” category
- Refine Your Search by specifying the exact location and search radius
Step 3: Refine your search
- Reply to posting by clicking on “Reply” button or on the small “Phone” icon next to the posting.
Remember to ask if the item is in working condition before you even move to the next step.
Step 4: Reply to posting
- Arrange the pick up. Act fast and you’ll be able to secure the deal before anyone else finds it.
Step 5: Arrange a Pick up😉
Here’s some more tips that will help you to save time and avoid trouble:
- Did I mentioned “Act Fast” ? I mean it. Hot deals go really fast
- Don’t waste your time if the item is not what you’re really wanted. Decline politely
- Arrange for a pickup of the free item(s) in a public place. If you must meet at someone’s house, always go during the daytime
- Take a friend with you to a pickup location. Not only will this ensure your safety, but it may also be necessary if you are moving large objects
- Because one person’s junk is another’s treasure, keeping expectations low is a great way to approach these free transactions
- Do not provide owners with your personal information, other that your first name and phone number or email address. There is no need to give your physical address or place of employment
- Avoid scams by researching common fraud techniques (see previous post)
Good luck and happy hunting !
Available at http://craiglook.com
New cool features :
- price and picture filters,
- “Neighborhood search” – see results in nearby cities by IP address,
- better bookmarking – can now bookmark individual posts,
- Skype integration,
- “forward” – you can now send bookmarks to your friends or to your mailbox,
- “reply to poster” – no longer blocked by mail filters,
- 2x more results per page,
- new visual theme,
- announcements and blogs sections
Craiglook.com 1.03 - Home Page
Craiglook 1.03 - search page
“Reply to Poster” has been temporarily disabled because of scammers who have been using Craiglook to send fake emails.
Nigerian IP range has been blocked.
We’re working on a better solution😉 which is now going to be a part of Craiglook 1.03
Examples of Nigerian Scams on Craigslist:
With many new features including
- better “Global Search” with price and picture filters
- “Neighborhood search” – displays nearby postings by IP address
- better “reply to poster” – to prevent mail filters from blocking emails
- better bookmarking – can now bookmark individual Ads
- Skype integration
- 2x more results per page
- new visual theme
- announcements and blogs sections
Craiglook.com 1.02 - Home Page
Craiglook 1.02 - Search Results
Craiglook is a Web 2.0 Craigslist Search Mashup which combines Craigslist with Google Maps and Yahoo Pipes to help you search and Navigate Craigslist faster.
In addition to the Global Search, it may restrict listings to the area you specify. You can enter your city or a zip code and then specify a mile radius using a horizontal slider on the site. Then you could choose the categories or search for the product or the service and turn on/off picture previews.